10 August 2018 : Clinical Research
Success Rate of Fungal Peri-Prosthetic Joint Infection Treated by 2-Stage Revision and Potential Risk Factors of Treatment Failure: A Retrospective StudyZhisen Gao1ABCDEFG, Xiang Li1ACDEFG, Yinqiao Du1BC, Yawen Peng1BC, Wenming Wu1CD, Yonggang Zhou1ACG*
Med Sci Monit 2018; 24: CLR5549-5557
BACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to investigate the success rate of fungal peri-prosthetic joint infection treated by 2-stage revision and related factors of treatment failure to offer a better treatment protocol.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: We reviewed 18 joints (13 knees and 5 hips) of 17 patients (10 women and 7 men) diagnosed with fungal peri-prosthetic joint infection from January 2000 to June 2015 at our institute. The mean follow-up was 65.1 months (range, 25–129 months). All joints were treated with complete debridement, implantation of antifungal-loaded cement spacers, at least 6 weeks of parenteral antifungal agents, and delayed reimplantation.
RESULTS: Notably, 15 joints were infected with Candida, and molds were isolated in 3 joints. The median duration of resection arthroplasty and reimplantation was 33.9 weeks (range, 12–132 weeks). Thirteen (10 knees and 3 hips, 72.2%) of the 18 joints (13 knees and 5 hips) had no recurrent or persistent infection, while the remaining 5 joints (3 knees and 2 hips, 27.8%) failed to control infection after reimplantation of prosthesis or spacer. The long interval between prosthesis resection and reimplantation (69 weeks vs. 23.1 weeks, p=0.240) and mixed bacterial infection (80% vs. 46.2%, p=0.314) were associated with higher failure rate.
CONCLUSIONS: Debridement with the retention of the prosthesis is not an ideal treatment protocol for fungal peri-prosthetic joint infection; thus, a two-stage revision could be valid. We suggest that 6 weeks of parenteral antifungal agents are necessary, and 6 subsequent weeks of oral antifungal treatment is also important. We do not recommend that the two-stage revision be performed on patients who have more than 2 host risk factors.
Keywords: Arthroplasty, Candida, Joints, Risk Factors
25 October 2021 : EditorialEditorial: The 2021 European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines on the Real-World Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease (ASCVD)
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935172
22 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Novel Method for the Production of an Autologous Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Catabolic Product (Cytorich) ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934365
11 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchClinical Features and Temporal Lung Radiographic Changes in 25 Patients Recovering from COVID-19 Pneumonia:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933381
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
27 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchUse of the Braden Scale to Predict Injury Severity in Mass Burn Casualties
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934039
27 Oct 2021 : Database AnalysisLow Expression of Long Noncoding RNA SLC26A4 Antisense RNA 1 Is an Independent Prognostic Biomarker and Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934522
27 Oct 2021 : Database AnalysisA Novel Predictive Model Incorporating Ferroptosis-Related Gene Signatures for Overall Survival in Patients...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934050
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700