16 June 2014 : Original article
Primary orbital tumors: A review of 122 cases during a 23-year period: A histo-clinical study in material from the ENT Department of the Medical University of SilesiaJarosław MarkowskiABCD, Estera Jagosz-KandzioraBCE, Wirginia LikusCEF, Jacek PająkC, Ewa Mrukwa-KominekF, Jarosław PaluchB, Włodzimierz DziubdzielaF
Med Sci Monit 2014; 20:988-994
BACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to investigate the distribution of different types of primary orbital tumors, histopathological diagnosis, and postoperative complications.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: We analyzed 122 patients (68 women and 54 men) with orbital tumors, hospitalized in the ENT Department of the Medical University of Silesia in Katowice during 1990–2013. The patients were characterized in terms of anatomic, topographical, histopathological, and clinical parameters. The role of diagnostic imagining such as CT, NMR, and fine-needle aspiration (FNB) in preoperative diagnostics is discussed. Results of FNB, cytological, and histopathological examination of the postoperative specimens were compared.
RESULTS: There were 56 (46%) patients with malignant tumors, 42 (34%) with benign tumors, 19 (16%) with inflammatory tumors, and 5 patients (4%) had other tumors. In cases of malignant tumors, local recurrence up to 5 years was found in 36 (64.3%) cases. In the other 20 (35.7%) cases of malignant tumors, the patients remained under close follow-up in the outpatient clinic, without signs of local recurrence (follow-up 1–17 years). According to histopathological examination, malignant tumors were detected in 45.9% of patients and non-malignant tumor in 34.4% of patients. In 19.7% of patients, inflammatory and other types of tumors were diagnosed.
CONCLUSIONS: We characterized the occurrence and pathological profiles of orbital tumors. The tumor location, histopathological diagnosis, and postoperative complications give us important information for the diagnosis of tumor prior to biopsy or tumor resection and for the determination of the treatment strategy and possible complications after surgery.
Keywords: Adult, Academic Medical Centers, Hospital Departments, Image Processing, Computer-Assisted, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Ophthalmologic Surgical Procedures - adverse effects, Orbit - radiography, Orbital Neoplasms - surgery, Poland, Postoperative Complications - etiology, Tomography, X-Ray Computed, young adult
18 October 2021 : EditorialEditorial: Global Initiatives Support the Use and Regulation of Digital Health Technology During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935123
20 October 2021 : EditorialEditorial: The 2021 European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines on the Real-World Prevention of Atheros...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935172
22 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Novel Method for the Production of an Autologous Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Catabolic Product (Cytorich) ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934365
11 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchClinical Features and Temporal Lung Radiographic Changes in 25 Patients Recovering from COVID-19 Pneumonia:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933381
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchUlnar Groove Plasty Guided by a 3D Printing Technique for Moderate to Severe Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Caused...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933775
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchTotal Fluoroscopy Time Reduction During Ultrasound- and Fluoroscopy-Guided Percutaneous Transhepatic Biliar...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933889
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchCorrelation Between Severity of Illness and Levels of Free Triiodothyronine, Interleukin-6, and Interleukin...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933230
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700