01 December 2021: EditorialDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935624
ABSTRACT: In 2021, data from global disease monitoring and infection surveillance programs have shown that vaccination programs have reduced the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection and hospitalization and mortality rates. Currently, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) identifies a fully vaccinated individual as being ≥14 days after the completion of all the recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). A partially vaccinated individual is <14 days following primary vaccination or has not completed the vaccination program. Clinical studies and data on the vaccine status of populations have identified breakthrough COVID-19 cases in fully vaccinated individuals at 14 or more days after completing the recommended dose of an authorized SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. This Editorial presents an update on what has been learned in the past year on SARS-CoV-2 vaccine responses and breakthrough COVID-19.
Keywords: Editorial, SARS-CoV-2, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, COVID-19, Vaccines, COVID-19 breakthrough infections
There have been reports and clinical studies on the prevalence of breakthrough infections with SARS-CoV-2 following vaccination. It is clear that factors associated with inadequate vaccine responses in patients with breakthrough infections are still not fully understood and remain to be investigated. However, it does seem that the clinical course of breakthrough infections may differ between the variants of SARS-CoV-2. Given the global inequalities in SARS-CoV-2 vaccine administration, surveillance of immune responses in populations post-vaccination may inform equitable and targeted booster vaccination programs in the future.
1. Scobie HM, Johnson AG, Suthar AB: Monitoring incidence of COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, by vaccination status – 13 U.S. Jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021: MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 2021; 70(37); 1284-90
2. Parums DV: Editorial: Revised World Health Organization (WHO) terminology for variants of concern and variants of interest of SARS-CoV-2: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933622
3. Parums DV:: COVID-19. Reporting breakthrough cases
4. Parums DV:: COVID-19. The possibility of COVID-19 illness after vaccination: Breakthrough infections
5. Parums DV: Hospitalization surveillance network: COVID-NET
6. Shrotri M, Navaratnam AMD, Nguyen V: Spike-antibody waning after second dose of BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1: Lancet, 2021; 398; 385-87
7. Shrotri M, Navaratnam AMD, Nguyen V:: Department of Health and Social Care JCVI interim advice on a potential coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccine programme for winter 2021 to 2022, 2021
8. Barros-Martins J, Hammerschmidt SI, Cossmann A: Immune responses against SARS-CoV-2 variants after heterologous and homologous ChAdOx1 nCoV-19/BNT162b2 vaccination: Nat Med, 2021; 27(9); 1525-29
9. Agrawal U, Katikireddi SV, McCowan C: COVID-19 hospital admissions and deaths after BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccinations in 2•57 million people in Scotland (EAVE II): A prospective cohort study: Lancet Respir Med, 2021; 29; S2213-2600; [Online ahead of print]
10. Rosen B, Waitzberg R, Israeli A: Israel’s rapid rollout of vaccinations for COVID-19: Isr J Health Policy Res, 2021; 10(1); 6
11. Rossman H, Shilo S, Meir T: COVID-19 dynamics after a national immunization program in Israel: Nat Med, 2021; 27(6); 1055-61
12. Bergwerk M, Gonen T, Lustig Y: COVID-19 breakthrough infections in vaccinated health care workers: N Engl J Med, 2021; 385(16); 1474-84
13. Juthani PV, Gupta A, Borges KA: Hospitalisation among vaccine breakthrough COVID-19 infections: Lancet Infect Dis, 2021; 21(11); 1485-86
14. Juthani PV, Gupta A, Borges KA:: Clinical spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 infection, 2021
11 January 2022 : Clinical ResearchA Remote Questionnaire-Based Study to Compare Alcohol Use in 1030 Final-Year High School Students in Split-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935567
08 November 2021 : Database AnalysisVirtual Screening and Molecular Docking to Study the Mechanism of Chinese Medicines in the Treatment of Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934102
31 December 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Prospective Observational Study of 42 Patients with COVID-19 infection and a History of Hepatitis C Virus...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935075
19 Jan 2022 : Clinical ResearchA Retrospective Study to Compare the Effects of Methylprednisolone and Dexamethasone in 35 Patients with An...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934703
17 Jan 2022 : Clinical ResearchUnveiling the Differences in Biological Properties of Dental Pulp Stem Cells from Normal and Inflamed Pulp:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934511
14 Jan 2022 : Database AnalysisIdentification of Key Genes Associated with Brain Metastasis from Breast Cancer: A Bioinformatics Analysis
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935071
Most Viewed Current Articles
30 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchRetrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379
01 Nov 2020 : Review articleLong-Term Respiratory and Neurological Sequelae of COVID-19
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e928996
05 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchThe Effects of Social Support on Sleep Quality of Medical Staff Treating Patients with Coronavirus Disease ...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923549