25 October 2021: Editorial
Editorial: The 2021 European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines on the Real-World Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease (ASCVD)Dinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935172
ABSTRACT: Some of the most challenging guidelines for clinical practice include recommendations for disease prevention, which often involve lifestyle modifications, which may vary between populations. On August 30, 2021, the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) published new guidelines for primary and secondary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), endorsed by 12 European professional societies. Important features of the 2021 ESC guidelines include recommendations for disease prevention in individuals in clinical practice, including in older adults, with and without ASCVD, with diabetes, familial hypercholesterolemia, and chronic kidney disease (CKD). Importantly, and for the first time, the updated 2021 ESC guidelines also address the impact of environmental factors, including water, air, and soil pollution, on the risk of ASCVD. This Editorial aims to present and discuss how the latest 2021 ESC guidelines on the prevention of ASCVD have practical real-world applications in clinical practice.
Keywords: Editorial, Guidelines, atherosclerosis, Cardiovascular Diseases, disease prevention, Air Pollution, Risk
In considering the prevention of disease by assessing the lifetime risk of ASCVD in populations throughout Europe, the new 2021 ESC guidelines for primary and secondary prevention of ASCVD have implications for public health policy and individual responsibility for health in the context of increasing environmental concerns associated with air, soil, and water pollution [7,15].
1. Neumann I, Santesso N, Akl EA: A guide for health professionals to interpret and use recommendations in guidelines developed with the GRADE approach: J Clin Epidemiol, 2016; 72; 45-55
2. Parums DV: Editorial: Review articles, systematic reviews, meta-analysis, and the updated preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses (PRISMA) 2020 guidelines: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e934475
3. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL: Lifestyle factors and high-risk atherosclerosis: Pathways and mechanisms beyond traditional risk factors: Eur J Prev Cardiol, 2020; 27(4); 394-406
4. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL:: Guidelines and Scientific Documents, 2021
5. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL:: EURObservational Research Programme, 2021
6. Piepoli MF, Hoes AW, Agewall S: 2016 European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: The Sixth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts) Developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR): Atherosclerosis, 2016; 252; 207-74
7. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM: 2021 ESC Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: Eur Heart J, 2021; 42(34); 3227-37
8. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM: SCORE2-OP risk prediction algorithms: Estimating incident cardiovascular event risk in older persons in four geographical risk regions: Eur Heart J, 2021; 42(25); 2455-67
9. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM:: Disease burden and mortality estimates
10. Lin JS, Evans CV, Johnson E: Nontraditional risk factors in cardiovascular disease risk assessment: Updated evidence report and systematic review for the US preventive services task force: JAMA, 2018; 320; 281-97
11. Tardif JC, Kouz S, Waters DD: Efficacy and safety of low-dose colchicine after myocardial infarction: N Engl J Med, 2019; 381(26); 2497-505
12. Nidorf SM, Fiolet ATL, Mosterd A: Colchicine in patients with chronic coronary disease: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(19); 1838-47
13. Bhatt DL, Steg PG, Miller M: Cardiovascular risk reduction with icosapent ethyl for hypertriglyceridemia: N Engl J Med, 2019; 380(1); 11-22
14. Newby DE, Mannucci PM, Tell GS: Expert position paper on air pollution and cardiovascular disease: Eur Heart J, 2015; 36(2); 83-93b
15. Rocque RJ, Beaudoin C, Ndjaboue R: Health effects of climate change: An overview of systematic reviews: BMJ Open, 2021; 11(6); e046333
11 January 2022 : Clinical ResearchA Remote Questionnaire-Based Study to Compare Alcohol Use in 1030 Final-Year High School Students in Split-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935567
08 November 2021 : Database AnalysisVirtual Screening and Molecular Docking to Study the Mechanism of Chinese Medicines in the Treatment of Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934102
31 December 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Prospective Observational Study of 42 Patients with COVID-19 infection and a History of Hepatitis C Virus...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935075
14 Jan 2022 : Database AnalysisIdentification of Key Genes Associated with Brain Metastasis from Breast Cancer: A Bioinformatics Analysis
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935071
13 Jan 2022 : Review articleA Review of Current Clinical Concepts in the Pathophysiology, Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management of Hyperc...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935821
13 Jan 2022 : Clinical ResearchEffect of Cerebral Microbleeds on Cognitive Function and Quality of Life in Parkinson Disease
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935026
Most Viewed Current Articles
30 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchRetrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379
01 Nov 2020 : Review articleLong-Term Respiratory and Neurological Sequelae of COVID-19
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e928996
05 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchThe Effects of Social Support on Sleep Quality of Medical Staff Treating Patients with Coronavirus Disease ...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923549