25 October 2021: Editorial
Editorial: The 2021 European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines on the Real-World Prevention of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease (ASCVD)Dinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935172
ABSTRACT: Some of the most challenging guidelines for clinical practice include recommendations for disease prevention, which often involve lifestyle modifications, which may vary between populations. On August 30, 2021, the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) published new guidelines for primary and secondary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), endorsed by 12 European professional societies. Important features of the 2021 ESC guidelines include recommendations for disease prevention in individuals in clinical practice, including in older adults, with and without ASCVD, with diabetes, familial hypercholesterolemia, and chronic kidney disease (CKD). Importantly, and for the first time, the updated 2021 ESC guidelines also address the impact of environmental factors, including water, air, and soil pollution, on the risk of ASCVD. This Editorial aims to present and discuss how the latest 2021 ESC guidelines on the prevention of ASCVD have practical real-world applications in clinical practice.
Keywords: Editorial, Guidelines, atherosclerosis, Cardiovascular Diseases, disease prevention, Air Pollution, Risk
In considering the prevention of disease by assessing the lifetime risk of ASCVD in populations throughout Europe, the new 2021 ESC guidelines for primary and secondary prevention of ASCVD have implications for public health policy and individual responsibility for health in the context of increasing environmental concerns associated with air, soil, and water pollution [7,15].
1. Neumann I, Santesso N, Akl EA: A guide for health professionals to interpret and use recommendations in guidelines developed with the GRADE approach: J Clin Epidemiol, 2016; 72; 45-55
2. Parums DV: Editorial: Review articles, systematic reviews, meta-analysis, and the updated preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses (PRISMA) 2020 guidelines: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e934475
3. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL: Lifestyle factors and high-risk atherosclerosis: Pathways and mechanisms beyond traditional risk factors: Eur J Prev Cardiol, 2020; 27(4); 394-406
4. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL:: Guidelines and Scientific Documents, 2021
5. Lechner K, von Schacky C, McKenzie AL:: EURObservational Research Programme, 2021
6. Piepoli MF, Hoes AW, Agewall S: 2016 European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: The Sixth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts) Developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR): Atherosclerosis, 2016; 252; 207-74
7. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM: 2021 ESC Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: Eur Heart J, 2021; 42(34); 3227-37
8. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM: SCORE2-OP risk prediction algorithms: Estimating incident cardiovascular event risk in older persons in four geographical risk regions: Eur Heart J, 2021; 42(25); 2455-67
9. Visseren FLJ, Mach F, Smulders YM:: Disease burden and mortality estimates
10. Lin JS, Evans CV, Johnson E: Nontraditional risk factors in cardiovascular disease risk assessment: Updated evidence report and systematic review for the US preventive services task force: JAMA, 2018; 320; 281-97
11. Tardif JC, Kouz S, Waters DD: Efficacy and safety of low-dose colchicine after myocardial infarction: N Engl J Med, 2019; 381(26); 2497-505
12. Nidorf SM, Fiolet ATL, Mosterd A: Colchicine in patients with chronic coronary disease: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(19); 1838-47
13. Bhatt DL, Steg PG, Miller M: Cardiovascular risk reduction with icosapent ethyl for hypertriglyceridemia: N Engl J Med, 2019; 380(1); 11-22
14. Newby DE, Mannucci PM, Tell GS: Expert position paper on air pollution and cardiovascular disease: Eur Heart J, 2015; 36(2); 83-93b
15. Rocque RJ, Beaudoin C, Ndjaboue R: Health effects of climate change: An overview of systematic reviews: BMJ Open, 2021; 11(6); e046333
03 December 2021 : Laboratory ResearchInfluenza and Influenza-Like Respiratory Virus Infections in Children During the 2019/20 Influenza Season a...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934862
08 November 2021 : Database AnalysisVirtual Screening and Molecular Docking to Study the Mechanism of Chinese Medicines in the Treatment of Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934102
01 November 2021 : EditorialEditorial: What Can be Learned from National and International Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting Systems Duri...
Med Sci Monit 2022; 28:e935299
06 Dec 2021 : Animal ResearchAstragalus Flavone Induces Proliferation and Differentiation of Neural Stem Cells in a Cerebral Infarction ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933830
06 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchAlteration of Serum Metabolites in Women of Reproductive Age with Chronic Constipation
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934117
06 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchBody Composition Changes and Related Factors in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis: A Retrospective Single-Ce...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933942
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700