04 October 2021: Editorial
Editorial: A Decline in Influenza During the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Emergence of Potential Epidemic and Pandemic Influenza VirusesDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e934949
ABSTRACT: There have been five viral pandemics in the past century, four were due to influenza, and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a 99% global reduction in the diagnosis of influenza. Also, from 2020, global mortality rates from influenza fell to record levels during the influenza seasons in the southern and northern hemispheres. However, as social restrictions become lifted and the winter season begins in the northern hemisphere, it is expected that influenza will re-emerge. The World Health Organization (WHO) FluNet surveillance platform provides global surveillance data on influenza, and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) records national weekly infection rates. Both surveillance programs have identified zoonotic avian and swine influenza variants in humans. The WHO Pandemic Influenza Preparedness (PIP) Framework requires WHO Member States to share data on cases of emerging influenza viruses with pandemic potential in a regular and timely way. The WHO PIP Framework organizes the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS), a global network of public health laboratories developing candidate virus vaccines. This Editorial aims to present the reasons for concern regarding the emergence of pandemic influenza viruses driven by the social and public health responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and highlights the importance of global influenza surveillance at this time.
Keywords: Editorial, Influenza, Human, Epidemiology, Pandemics, COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2
During the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 and 2021, reports of influenza virus infections have dramatically fallen worldwide. As public health and social restrictions are lifted, there are concerns about the emergence of pandemic influenza. The importance of the CDC and WHO global influenza surveillance programs at this time is highlighted by the identification of new influenza viruses ahead of the 2021–22 influenza season.
1. Stephenson I, Zambon M: The epidemiology of influenza: Occup Med (Lond), 2002; 52; 241
2. Hvistendahl M: Avian influenza. Enigmatic bird flu strain races across the U.S. Midwest: Science, 2015; 348; 741
3. Guan Y, Poon LL, Cheung CY: H5N1 influenza: A protean pandemic threat: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2004; 101; 8156
4. Olsen SJ, Winn AK, Budd AP: Changes in influenza and other respiratory virus activity during the COVID-19 pandemic – United States, 2020–2021: MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 2021; 70; 1013
5. Rubin R: Influenza’s unprecedented low profile during COVID-19 pandemic leaves experts wondering what this flu season has in store: JAMA, 2021; 326(10); 899-900
6. Rubin R:: FluNet, 2021
7. Rubin R:: Influenza (Flu), 2021
8. Rubin R:: Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView), 2021
9. Chu DK, Akl EA, Duda S, Solo K: Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis: Lancet, 2020; 395(10242); 1973-87
10. Laurie KL, Rockman S: Which influenza viruses will emerge following the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic?: Influenza Other Respir Viruses, 2021; 15(5); 573-76
11. Di Mattia G, Nenna R, Mancino E: During the COVID-19 pandemic where has respiratory syncytial virus gone?: Pediatr Pulmonol, 2021; 56(10); 3106-9
12. Wagatsuma K, Koolhof IS, Shobugawa Y, Saito R: Decreased human respiratory syncytial virus activity during the COVID-19 pandemic in Japan: An ecological time-series analysis: BMC Infect Dis, 2021; 21(1); 734
13. Wagatsuma K, Koolhof IS, Shobugawa Y, Saito R:: 2020-21 Seasonal Influenza Recommendations, 2021
14. Petrova V, Russell C: The evolution of seasonal influenza viruses: Nat Rev Microbiol, 2017; 16; 47-60
15. Petrova V, Russell C:: Influenza at the human-animal interface, Summary and assessment, from 24 October to 9 December 2020
16. Gostin LO, Phelan A, Stoto MA: Virus sharing, genetic sequencing, and global health security: Science, 2014; 345(6202); 1295-96
17. Hay AJ, McCauley JW: The WHO global influenza surveillance and response system (GISRS) – a future perspective: Influenza Other Respir Viruses, 2018; 12(5); 551-57
11 January 2022 : Clinical ResearchA Remote Questionnaire-Based Study to Compare Alcohol Use in 1030 Final-Year High School Students in Split-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935567
08 November 2021 : Database AnalysisVirtual Screening and Molecular Docking to Study the Mechanism of Chinese Medicines in the Treatment of Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934102
31 December 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Prospective Observational Study of 42 Patients with COVID-19 infection and a History of Hepatitis C Virus...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935075
14 Jan 2022 : Database AnalysisIdentification of Key Genes Associated with Brain Metastasis from Breast Cancer: A Bioinformatics Analysis
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935071
13 Jan 2022 : Review articleA Review of Current Clinical Concepts in the Pathophysiology, Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management of Hyperc...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935821
13 Jan 2022 : Clinical ResearchEffect of Cerebral Microbleeds on Cognitive Function and Quality of Life in Parkinson Disease
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935026
Most Viewed Current Articles
30 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchRetrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379
01 Nov 2020 : Review articleLong-Term Respiratory and Neurological Sequelae of COVID-19
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e928996
05 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchThe Effects of Social Support on Sleep Quality of Medical Staff Treating Patients with Coronavirus Disease ...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923549