27 September 2021: Editorial
Editorial: Global Regulatory Initiatives Deliver Accelerated Approval of the First Bispecific Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibody for Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)Dinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e934854
ABSTRACT: The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has affected the number of completed clinical trials, particularly in oncology. Between 80-85% of all lung cancers are non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), and of these, between 2-3% have an EGFR exon 20 insertion, which is associated with increased cell proliferation, metastasis, and a lack of response to chemotherapy and epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors. Until this year, there were no available targeted therapies for advanced NSCLC with this genetic subtype. However, in May 2021, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted accelerated approval for amivantamab-vmjw (Rybrevant®), a bispecific monoclonal antibody, targeting activating and resistant EGFR and MET mutations and amplifications. This FDA approval was for adult patients with locally advanced metastatic NSCLC, with disease progression on or following platinum-based chemotherapy. The FDA also approved the Guardant360® companion diagnostic, a next-generation sequencing platform for circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA), which is a liquid biopsy assay. In 2019, Project Orbis was launched by the FDA Oncology Center of Excellence as a global collaborative review program to facilitate rapid global access for patients to innovative cancer therapies. This Editorial aims to highlight how global regulatory initiatives from the FDA have delivered accelerated approval of the first bispecific therapeutic monoclonal antibody, amivantamab-vmjw (Rybrevant®), and a companion diagnostic for patients with advanced NSCLC with an EGFR exon 20 insertion.
Keywords: Editorial, EGFR, monoclonal antibody, targeted therapy, Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer, NSCLC, met
The recent regulatory approval of amivantamab-vmjw (Rybrevant®), an EGFR and MET bispecific monoclonal antibody, and the Guardant360® companion diagnostic, herald a new era in targeted therapy for patients with advanced NSCLC. When the COVID-19 pandemic has delayed clinical trials and regulatory approvals in oncology, recent global initiatives developed by the FDA helped accelerate the approval of amivantamab-vmjw (Rybrevant®) for patients with advanced NSCLC and mutations in the EGFR gene exon 20 insertion. Future expansion of recent FDA programs, such as Project Orbis, to include more countries and review more regulatory applications could help offset the delays in approvals associated with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
1. :: Globocan 2020: Lung cancer
2. Inamura K: Lung cancer: Understanding its molecular pathology and the 2015 WHO Classification: Front Oncol, 2017; 7; 193
3. Sequist LV, Bell DW, Lynch TJ, Haber DA: Molecular predictors of response to epidermal growth factor receptor antagonists in non-small-cell lung cancer: J Clin Oncol, 2007; 25(5); 587-95
4. Hirsch FR, Varella-Garcia M, Bunn PA: Molecular predictors of outcome with gefitinib in a phase III placebo-controlled study in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: J Clin Oncol, 2006; 24(31); 5034-42
5. Parums DV: Current status of targeted therapy in non-small cell lung cancer: Drugs Today (Barc), 2014; 50(7); 503-25
6. Hofman P, Barlesi F: Companion diagnostic tests for treatment of lung cancer patients: What are the current and future challenges?: Expert Rev Mol Diagn, 2019; 19(5); 429-38
7. Unger JM, Nghiem VT, Hershman DL: Association of National Cancer Institute-Sponsored Clinical Trial Network Group Studies with guideline care and new drug indications: JAMA Netw Open, 2019; 2(9); e1910593
8. Waterhouse DM, Harvey RD, Hurley P: Early impact of COVID-19 on the conduct of oncology clinical trials and long-term opportunities for transformation: Findings from an American Society of Clinical Oncology Survey: JCO Oncol Pract, 2020; 16; 417-21
9. Lim SM, Pyo KH, Soo RA, Cho BC: The promise of bispecific antibodies: Clinical applications and challenges: Cancer Treat Rev, 2021; 99; 102240
10. Park K, Haura EB, Leighl NB: Amivantamab in EGFR exon 20 insertion-mutated non-small-cell lung cancer progressing on platinum chemotherapy: Initial results from the CHRYSALIS phase I study: J Clin Oncol, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
11. Yun J, Lee SH, Kim SY: Antitumor activity of amivantamab (JNJ-61186372), an EGFR-MET bispecific antibody, in diverse models of EGFR Exon 20 insertion-driven NSCLC: Cancer Discov, 2020; 10; 1194-209
12. Neijssen J, Cardoso RMF, Chevalier KM: Discovery of amivantamab (JNJ-61186372), a bispecific antibody targeting EGFR and MET: J Biol Chem, 2021; 296; 100641
13. Syed YY: Amivantamab: First approval: Drugs, 2021; 81(11); 1349-53
14. Syed YY:: FDA grants accelerated approval to amivantamab-vmjw for metastatic non-small cell lung cancer, 2021
15. Leighl NB, Page RD, Raymond VM: Clinical utility of comprehensive cell-free DNA analysis to identify genomic biomarkers in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic non-small cell lung cancer: Clin Cancer Res, 2019; 25(15); 4691-700
16. Leighl NB, Page RD, Raymond VM: Prescribing Information: Rybrevant (amivantamab-vmjw) injection, for intravenous use, 2021
17. de Claro RA, Spillman D, Hotaki LT: Project Orbis: Global collaborative review program: Clin Cancer Res, 2020; 26(24); 6412-16
18. Goldberg KB, Blumenthal GM, McKee AE, Pazdur R: The FDA Oncology Center of excellence and precision medicine: Exp Biol Med (Maywood), 2018; 243(3); 308-12
13 October 2021 : EditorialEditorial: Global Initiatives Support the Use and Regulation of Digital Health Technology During the COVID-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935123
11 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchClinical Features and Temporal Lung Radiographic Changes in 25 Patients Recovering from COVID-19 Pneumonia:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933381
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
13 Oct 2021 : EditorialEditorial: Global Initiatives Support the Use and Regulation of Digital Health Technology During the COVID-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935123
13 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchEndovascular Repair of Thoracic Aorta Injury: 17 Years of Single-Center Experience
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934479
11 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchChallenges for Polish Community Pharmacists in Provision of Services to Immigrants and Non-Polish-Speakers ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933678
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700