06 September 2021: Editorial
Editorial: First Full Regulatory Approval of a COVID-19 Vaccine, the BNT162b2 Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine, and the Real-World Implications for Public Health PolicyDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e934625
ABSTRACT: In the past 18 months, accelerated vaccine development to prevent or reduce the severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has resulted in rapid global emergency regulatory approvals, including the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) emergency use authorization (EUA) approvals. On August 23, 2021, the US FDA gave the first full regulatory approval for a COVID-19 vaccine and approved the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (Comirnaty) for individuals 16 years and older. In the US, there is a continued EUA for individuals aged 12-15 years of age. Also, the EUA includes the administration of a third or booster dose in immunocompromised individuals at increased risk for severe COVID-19. This Editorial aims to present an update on the first COVID-19 vaccine to receive full regulatory approval, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and the implications for real-world public health during the global COVID-19 pandemic and increasing concerns for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) variants of concern.
Keywords: Editorial, COVID-19, COVID-19 vaccine, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
The first COVID-19 vaccine to receive full regulatory approval, the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, BNT162b2, has implications for real-world public health during the global COVID-19 pandemic and increasing SARS-CoV-2 variants. As further full regulatory approvals for COVID-19 vaccines are anticipated, population studies may identify which populations benefit the most from different vaccines and may identify risk factors for adverse events. Surveillance of vaccine efficacy against emerging variants of SARS-CoV-2 will require viral genotyping to be incorporated into global post-marketing vaccine guidelines.
1. Fortner A, Schumacher D: First COVID-19 vaccines receiving the US FDA and EMA emergency use authorization: Discoveries (Craiova), 2021; 9(1); e122
2. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: Safety and efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(27); 2603-15
3. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: Comirnaty: Prescribing information
4. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: FDA takes key action in fight against COVID-19 by issuing emergency use authorization for first COVID-19 vaccine: Action follows thorough evaluation of available safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality information by FDA career scientists, input from independent experts, 2020; News release
5. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N:: Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: FDA authorizes Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use in adolescents in another important action in fight against pandemic, 2021; News release
6. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: Comirnaty (COVID-19 mRNA vaccine): An overview of Comirnaty and why it is authorised in the EU, 2021
7. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N:: Regulatory approval of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for COVID-19
8. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: FDA approves first COVID-19 vaccine: Approval signifies key achievement for public health, 2021; News release
9. Liu Y, Liu J, Xia H: Neutralizing activity of BNT162b2-elicited serum: N Engl J Med, 2021; 384(15); 1466-68
10. Dror AA, Eisenbach N, Taiber S: Vaccine hesitancy: The next challenge in the fight against COVID-19: Eur J Epidemiol, 2020; 35(8); 775-79
11. Cerda AA, García LY: Hesitation and refusal factors in individuals; decision-making processes regarding a coronavirus disease 2019 vaccination: Front Public Health, 2021; 9; 626852
12. Fabiani M, Ramigni M, Gobbetto V: Effectiveness of the comirnaty (BNT162b2, BioNTech/Pfizer) vaccine in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection among healthcare workers, Treviso province, Veneto region, Italy, 27 December 2020 to 24 March 2021: Euro Surveill, 2021; 26(17); 2100420
13. Lopez Bernal J, Andrews N, Gower C: Effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines on COVID-19 related symptoms, hospital admissions, and mortality in older adults in England: Test negative case-control study: BMJ, 2021; 373; n1088
14. Angel Y, Spitzer A, Henig O: Association between vaccination with BNT162b2 and incidence of symptomatic and asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections among health care workers: JAMA, 2021; 325(24); 2457-65
15. Parums DV: Editorial: Registries and population databases in clinical research and practice: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933554
16. Goldshtein I, Nevo D, Steinberg DM: Association between BNT162b2 vaccination and incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection in pregnant women: JAMA, 2021; 326(8); 728-35
17. Barda N, Dagan N, Ben-Shlomo Y: Safety of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 vaccine in a nationwide setting: N Engl J Med, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
18. Parums DV: Editorial: Revised World Health Organization (WHO) terminology for variants of concern and variants of interest of SARS-CoV-2: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933622
19. Parums DV:: ASHP principles for COVID-19 vaccine distribution, allocation, and mass immunization, 2020
11 January 2022 : Clinical ResearchA Remote Questionnaire-Based Study to Compare Alcohol Use in 1030 Final-Year High School Students in Split-...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935567
08 November 2021 : Database AnalysisVirtual Screening and Molecular Docking to Study the Mechanism of Chinese Medicines in the Treatment of Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934102
31 December 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Prospective Observational Study of 42 Patients with COVID-19 infection and a History of Hepatitis C Virus...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935075
14 Jan 2022 : Database AnalysisIdentification of Key Genes Associated with Brain Metastasis from Breast Cancer: A Bioinformatics Analysis
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935071
13 Jan 2022 : Review articleA Review of Current Clinical Concepts in the Pathophysiology, Etiology, Diagnosis, and Management of Hyperc...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935821
13 Jan 2022 : Clinical ResearchEffect of Cerebral Microbleeds on Cognitive Function and Quality of Life in Parkinson Disease
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935026
Most Viewed Current Articles
30 Dec 2021 : Clinical ResearchRetrospective Study of Outcomes and Hospitalization Rates of Patients in Italy with a Confirmed Diagnosis o...
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e935379
01 Nov 2020 : Review articleLong-Term Respiratory and Neurological Sequelae of COVID-19
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e928996
05 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchThe Effects of Social Support on Sleep Quality of Medical Staff Treating Patients with Coronavirus Disease ...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923549