19 July 2021: Editorial
Editorial: Tocilizumab, a Humanized Therapeutic IL-6 Receptor (IL-6R) Monoclonal Antibody, and Future Combination Therapies for Severe COVID-19Dinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e933973
ABSTRACT: Vaccinated, non-vaccinated, and immunosuppressed individuals will continue to be infected with SARS-CoV-2. Therefore, there is a priority to develop treatments that reduce the severity of COVID-19 in patients who require hospital admission. Interleukin-6 (IL-6) is a proinflammatory cytokine. In 2011, a humanized monoclonal antibody to the IL-6 receptor (IL-6R), tocilizumab, was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, giant cell arteritis, and Castleman’s disease. In 2017, tocilizumab was approved to treat chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy-induced cytokine release syndrome (CRS). In 2021, the results of the REMAP-CAP clinical trial (NCT02735707) and the COVID-19 Therapy (RECOVERY) clinical trial (NCT04381936) supported FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for tocilizumab to treat hospitalized patients with moderate and severe COVID-19. Monoclonal antibodies are currently in clinical development or undergoing clinical trials to treat COVID-19. Further clinical trials will provide safety and efficacy data on targeting IL-6 and IL-6R and provide rationales for more personalized combination treatments to control the systemic effects of SARS-CoV-2 infection in hospitalized patients with moderate and severe COVID-19. This Editorial aims to present the background to the recent authorization of tocilizumab, a humanized therapeutic monoclonal antibody to the IL-6 receptor (IL-6R), for hospitalized patients with moderate and severe COVID-19 and future combination therapies.
Keywords: Editorial, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, Tocilizumab, IL6R Protein, Human, IL6 Protein, Human, COVID-19
IL-6 and its receptor are now recognized as potential therapeutic targets in patients with severe systemic effects of COVID-19 due to SARS-CoV-2 infection. In June 2021, following the results from clinical trials, the US FDA granted EUA for tocilizumab, a humanized therapeutic monoclonal antibody to IL-6R, to treat hospitalized patients with moderate and severe COVID-19. Further clinical trials will provide safety and efficacy data on targeting IL-6 and IL-6R and provide rationales for more personalized combination treatments to control the systemic effects of SARS-CoV-2 infection in hospitalized patients with moderate and severe COVID-19.
1. Bhimraj A, Morgan RL, Shumaker AH: Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines on the treatment and management of patients with COVID-19: Clin Infect Dis, 2020; 27; ciaa478
2. Parums DV: Editorial: mRNA vaccines and future epidemic, pandemic, and endemic zoonotic virus infections: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e932915
3. Parums DV: COVID-19 treatment guidelines: Clinical spectrum of SARS-CoV-2 infection, 2021
4. Gaziano R, Pistoia ES, Campione E: Immunomodulatory agents as potential therapeutic or preventive strategies for COVID-19: Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci, 2021; 25(11); 4174-84
5. Gavriatopoulou M, Ntanasis-Stathopoulos I, Korompoki E: Emerging treatment strategies for COVID-19 infection: Clin Exp Med, 2021; 21(2); 167-79
6. Horby P, Lim WS, Emberson JR: Dexamethasone in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: N Engl J Med, 2021; 384(8); 693-704
7. Mélo Silva ML, Souza LMA, Dutra REMC: Review on therapeutic targets for COVID-19: Insights from ‘cytokine storm.’: Postgrad Med J, 2021; 97(1148); 391-98
8. Shankar-Hari M, Vale CL, Godolphin PJ: Association between administration of IL-6 antagonists and mortality among patients hospitalized for COVID-19: A meta-analysis: JAMA, 2021; e2111330; [Epub ahead of print]
9. Velazquez-Salinas L, Verdugo-Rodriguez A, Rodriguez LL, Borca MV: The role of interleukin 6 during viral infections: Front Microbiol, 2019; 10; 6-11
10. Rocio LG, Alberto UR, Paloma T: Interleukin-6-based mortality risk model for hospitalised COVID-19 patients: J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2020; 146; 799-807
11. Plushner SL: Tocilizumab: An interleukin-6 receptor inhibitor for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Ann Pharmacother, 2008; 42(11); 1660-68
12. Fraenkel L, Bathon JM, England BR: 2021 American College of Rheumatology guideline for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), 2021; 73(7); 924-39
13. Le RQ, Li L, Yuan W: FDA approval summary: Tocilizumab for treatment of chimeric antigen receptor T cell-induced severe or life-threatening cytokine release syndrome: Oncologist, 2018; 23(8); 943-47
14. Liu Z, Li J, Chen D: Dynamic interleukin-6 level changes as a prognostic indicator in patients with COVID-19: Front Pharmacol, 2020; 1; 1093
15. Ghosn L, Chaimani A, Evrenoglou T: Interleukin-6 blocking agents for treating COVID-19: a living systematic review: Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2021; 3; CD013881
16. Ghosn L, Chaimani A, Evrenoglou T:: Actemra (tocilizumab) [prescribing information], 2021
17. Ghosn L, Chaimani A, Evrenoglou T:: Fact sheet for healthcare providers emergency use authorization (EUA) for Actemra (tocilizumab)
18. Gordon AC, Mouncey PR, Al-Beidh F: Interleukin-6 receptor antagonists in critically ill patients with COVID-19: N Engl J Med, 2021; 384(16); 1491-502
19. Beigel JH, Tomashek KM, Dodd LE: Remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19 – final report: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(19); 1813-26
20. Raimondo MG, Biggioggero M, Crotti C: Profile of sarilumab and its potential in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Drug Des Devel Ther, 2017; 11; 1593-603
21. Lescure FX, Honda H, Fowler RA: Sarilumab COVID-19 Global Study Group. Sarilumab in patients admitted to hospital with severe or critical COVID-19: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial: Lancet Respir Med, 2021; 9(5); 522-32
22. Lescure FX, Honda H, Fowler RA: Tocilizumab in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (RECOVERY): A randomised, controlled, open-label, platform trial: Lancet, 2021; 397(10285); 1637-45
23. Lescure FX, Honda H, Fowler RA:: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) treatment guidelines
24. Lescure FX, Honda H, Fowler RA:: Interleukin-6 inhibitors (tocilizumab or sarilumab) for hospitalised patients with COVID-19 pneumonia (adults), 2021
25. Bhimraj A, Morgan RL, Shumaker AH:: Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines on the treatment and management of patients with COVID-19, 2021
26. Aleem A, Slenker AK: Monoclonal antibody therapy for high-risk coronavirus (COVID 19) patients with mild to moderate disease presentations. [Updated 2021 Apr 20]: StatPearls [Internet], 2021
27. Weinreich DM, Sivapalasingam S, Norton T: REGN-COV2, a neutralizing antibody cocktail, in outpatients with COVID-19: N Engl J Med, 2021; 384(3); 238-51
28. Parums DV: Editorial: Revised world health organization (WHO) terminology for variants of concern and variants of interest of SARS-CoV-2: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933622
22 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Novel Method for the Production of an Autologous Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Catabolic Product (Cytorich) ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934365
11 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchClinical Features and Temporal Lung Radiographic Changes in 25 Patients Recovering from COVID-19 Pneumonia:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933381
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
27 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchUse of the Braden Scale to Predict Injury Severity in Mass Burn Casualties
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934039
27 Oct 2021 : Database AnalysisLow Expression of Long Noncoding RNA SLC26A4 Antisense RNA 1 Is an Independent Prognostic Biomarker and Cor...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934522
27 Oct 2021 : Database AnalysisA Novel Predictive Model Incorporating Ferroptosis-Related Gene Signatures for Overall Survival in Patients...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934050
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700