28 June 2021: Editorial
Editorial: Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Clinical Medicine and the 2020 CONSORT-AI Study GuidelinesDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e933675
ABSTRACT: Artificial intelligence (AI) in clinical medicine includes physical robotics and devices and virtual AI and machine learning. Concerns have been raised regarding ethical issues for the use of AI in surgery, including guidance for surgical decisions, patient confidentiality, and the need for support from controlled clinical trials to use these methods so that clinical guidelines can be developed. The most common applications for virtual AI include disease diagnosis, health monitoring and digital patient consultations, clinical training, patient data management, drug development, and personalized medicine. In September 2020, the CONSORT-A1 extension was developed with 14 additional items that should be reported for AI studies that include clear descriptions of the AI intervention, skills required, study setting, inputs and outputs of the AI intervention, analysis of errors, and the human and AI interactions. This Editorial aims to present current applications and challenges of AI in clinical medicine and the importance of the new 2020 CONSORT-AI study guidelines.
Keywords: Editorial, Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, Robotics, Guidelines as Topic
Developments in virtual AI and machine learning in clinical medicine continue to improve diagnostic accuracy, identify new treatments, improve patient care, improve medical training and quality of care, and reduce administrative burdens for clinicians, which will provide more time for individualized patient care. Developments in physical AI or robotics devices that assist surgeons may also reduce surgical time and improve outcomes but will require specialized training. The development of the 2020 CONSORT-AI guidelines for AI studies is an important advance that will increase the likelihood of future evidence-based guidelines to support AI in all areas of clinical medicine.
1. Mintz Y, Brodie R: Introduction to artificial intelligence in medicine: Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol, 2019; 28; 73-81
2. Turing AM: Computing machinery and intelligence: Mind, 1950; 236; 433-60
3. Amisha Malik P, Pathania M, Rathaur VK: Overview of artificial intelligence in medicine: J Family Med Prim Care, 2019; 8(7); 2328-31
4. Hagen ME, Jung MK, Ris F: Early clinical experience with the da Vinci Xi Surgical System in general surgery: J Robot Surg, 2017; 11(3); 347-53
5. Binkley CE, Green BP: Does intraoperative artificial intelligence decision support pose ethical issues?: JAMA Surg, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
6. Loftus TJ, Tighe PJ, Filiberto AC: Artificial Intelligence and Surgical Decision-making: JAMA Surg, 2020; 155(2); 148-58
7. Mayo RC, Leung J: Artificial intelligence and deep learning. Radiology’s next frontier?: Clin Imaging, 2018; 49; 87-88
8. Lakhani P, Sundaram B: Deep learning at chest radiography: Automated classification of pulmonary tuberculosis by using convolutional neural networks: Radiology, 2017; 284; 574-82
9. Schaffter T, Buist DSM, Lee CI: Evaluation of combined artificial intelligence and radiologist assessment to interpret screening mammograms: JAMA Netw Open, 2020; 3(3); e200265
10. Labovitz DL, Shafner L, Reyes Gil M: Using artificial intelligence to reduce the risk of nonadherence in patients on anticoagulation therapy: Stroke, 2017; 48; 1416-19
11. Dias D, Paulo Silva Cunha J: Wearable health devices-vital sign monitoring, systems and technologies: Sensors (Basel), 2018; 18(8); 2414
12. Sinsky C, Colligan L, Li L: Allocation of physician time in ambulatory practice: A time and motion study in 4 specialities: Ann Intern Med, 2016; 165; 753-60
13. Schneider G: Automating drug discovery: Nat Rev Drug Discov, 2018; 17(2); 97-113
14. Merk D, Friedrich L, Grisoni F, Schneider G: De novo design of bioactive small molecules by artificial intelligence: Mol Inform, 2018; 37(1–2); 1700153
15. Jie Z, Zhiying Z, Li L: A meta-analysis of Watson for Oncology in clinical application: Sci Rep, 2021; 11(1); 5792
16. Patel NM, Michelini VV, Snell JM: Enhancing next-generation sequencing-guided cancer care through cognitive computing: Oncologist, 2018; 23(2); 179-85
17. Campbell JP, Lee AY, Abràmoff M: Reporting guidelines for artificial intelligence in medical research: Ophthalmology, 2020; 127(12); 1596-99
18. Faes L, Liu X, Wagner SK: A clinician’s guide to artificial intelligence: How to critically appraise machine learning studies: Transl Vis Sci Technol, 2020; 9; 7
19. Eaton LA: CONSORT guidelines: Encyclopedia of behavioral medicine, 2013; 486-87
20. Moher D, Chan AW: SPIRIT (Standard Protocol Items: Recommendations for Interventional Trials): Guidelines for reporting health research: A user’s manual, 2014; 56-67
21. Liu X, Cruz Rivera S, Moher D: Reporting guidelines for clinical trial reports for interventions involving artificial intelligence: The CONSORT-AI extension: Nat Med, 2020; 26(9); 1364-74
22. Topol EJ: Welcoming new guidelines for AI clinical research: Nat Med, 2020; 26(9); 1318-20
22 September 2021 : EditorialEditorial: Global Regulatory Initiatives Deliver Accelerated Approval of the First Bispecific Therapeutic M...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934854
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
16 July 2021 : Review articleSilent Hypoxemia in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia: A Review
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.930776
23 Sep 2021 : Animal ResearchForkhead Box Protein M1 Promotes Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cell Tumorigenesis Possibly via the Wnt/β-Catenin...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.931970
22 Sep 2021 : EditorialEditorial: Global Regulatory Initiatives Deliver Accelerated Approval of the First Bispecific Therapeutic M...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934854
22 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Comparative Study of the Clinical Efficacy and Safety of Pneumatic Trabeculoplasty and Selective Laser Tr...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933454
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700