07 June 2021: EditorialDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e933446
ABSTRACT: During 2020, increasing numbers of case reports, case series, and small observational studies reported long-term complications of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in patients who had recovered from acute infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Long COVID has a prevalence of between 10-30% in patients with a recent history of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Pulmonary, hematologic, cardiovascular, neuropsychiatric, renal, endocrine, gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary, and dermatologic involvement, and chronic multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) highlights the requirement for a multidisciplinary approach to the management of patients with long COVID. This Editorial aims to present the current status of long COVID, or post-COVID syndrome, and its global impact on health and the provision of health care.
Keywords: Editorial, COVID-19, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
The clinical manifestations of long COVID and its prevalence in all age groups who initially appear to have recovered from acute SARS-CoV-2 infection are now recognized. However, the effects on society, the economy, and healthcare provision have yet to be realized. There is also concern that in older adults, the symptoms of long COVID are under-reported and may be assumed to be due to age-related comorbidities. Now that SARS-CoV-2 infection and its variants are endemic, and vaccination programs may not be completely effective the diagnosis and management of long COVID is expected to become a global public health priority.
1. Carfì A, Bernabei R, Landi F: Persistent symptoms in patients after acute COVID-19: JAMA, 2020; 324(6); 603-5
2. Stefano GB: Historical insight into infections and disorders associated with neurological and psychiatric sequelae similar to long COVID: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e931447
3. Stefano GB, Büttiker P, Weissenberger S: Editorial: The pathogenesis of long-term neuropsychiatric COVID-19 and the role of microglia, mitochondria, and persistent neuroinflammation: A hypothesis: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933015
4. Dennis A, Wamil M, Alberts J: Multiorgan impairment in low-risk individuals with post-COVID-19 syndrome: A prospective, community-based study: BMJ Open, 2021; 11(3); e048391
5. Daugherty SE, Guo Y, Heath K: Risk of clinical sequelae after the acute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection: retrospective cohort study: BMJ, 2021; 373; n1098
6. Sisó-Almirall A, Brito-Zerón P, Conangla Ferrín L: Long COVID-19: Proposed primary care clinical guidelines for diagnosis and disease management: Int J Environ Res Public Health, 2021; 18(8); 4350
7. Parums DV: Editorial: COVID-19 and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C): Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933369
8. Buonsenso D, Munblit D, De Rose C: Preliminary evidence on long COVID in children: Acta Paediatr, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
9. Al-Aly Z, Xie Y, Bowe B: High-dimensional characterization of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19: Nature, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
10. Nalbandian A, Sehgal K, Gupta A: Post-acute COVID-19 syndrome: Nat Med, 2021; 27(4); 601-15
11. Nalbandian A, Sehgal K, Gupta A:: March 2021. Living with COVID-19: Second Review, 2021
12. Verguet S, Hailu A, Eregata GT: Toward universal health coverage in the post-COVID-19 era: Nat Med, 2021; 27(3); 380-87
13. Yong SJ: Long COVID or post-COVID-19 syndrome: Putative pathophysiology, risk factors, and treatments: Infect Dis (Lond), 2021; 22; 1-18
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
16 July 2021 : Review articleSilent Hypoxemia in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia: A Review
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.930776
09 July 2021 : Database AnalysisA Simple Clinical Prediction Tool for COVID-19 in Primary Care with Epidemiology: Temperature-Leukocytes-CT...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.931467
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchComparison of the Use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Partial Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears Using Maxim...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932228
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchAutomated Boluses and Delayed-Start Timers Prolong Perineural Local Anesthetic Infusions and Analgesia Foll...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933190
16 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Retrospective Evaluation of Operative and Postoperative Outcomes in Patients with Spinal Metastases from ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932995
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700