07 June 2021: EditorialDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e933446
ABSTRACT: During 2020, increasing numbers of case reports, case series, and small observational studies reported long-term complications of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in patients who had recovered from acute infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Long COVID has a prevalence of between 10-30% in patients with a recent history of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Pulmonary, hematologic, cardiovascular, neuropsychiatric, renal, endocrine, gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary, and dermatologic involvement, and chronic multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) highlights the requirement for a multidisciplinary approach to the management of patients with long COVID. This Editorial aims to present the current status of long COVID, or post-COVID syndrome, and its global impact on health and the provision of health care.
Keywords: Editorial, COVID-19, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
The clinical manifestations of long COVID and its prevalence in all age groups who initially appear to have recovered from acute SARS-CoV-2 infection are now recognized. However, the effects on society, the economy, and healthcare provision have yet to be realized. There is also concern that in older adults, the symptoms of long COVID are under-reported and may be assumed to be due to age-related comorbidities. Now that SARS-CoV-2 infection and its variants are endemic, and vaccination programs may not be completely effective the diagnosis and management of long COVID is expected to become a global public health priority.
1. Carfì A, Bernabei R, Landi F: Persistent symptoms in patients after acute COVID-19: JAMA, 2020; 324(6); 603-5
2. Stefano GB: Historical insight into infections and disorders associated with neurological and psychiatric sequelae similar to long COVID: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e931447
3. Stefano GB, Büttiker P, Weissenberger S: Editorial: The pathogenesis of long-term neuropsychiatric COVID-19 and the role of microglia, mitochondria, and persistent neuroinflammation: A hypothesis: Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933015
4. Dennis A, Wamil M, Alberts J: Multiorgan impairment in low-risk individuals with post-COVID-19 syndrome: A prospective, community-based study: BMJ Open, 2021; 11(3); e048391
5. Daugherty SE, Guo Y, Heath K: Risk of clinical sequelae after the acute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection: retrospective cohort study: BMJ, 2021; 373; n1098
6. Sisó-Almirall A, Brito-Zerón P, Conangla Ferrín L: Long COVID-19: Proposed primary care clinical guidelines for diagnosis and disease management: Int J Environ Res Public Health, 2021; 18(8); 4350
7. Parums DV: Editorial: COVID-19 and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C): Med Sci Monit, 2021; 27; e933369
8. Buonsenso D, Munblit D, De Rose C: Preliminary evidence on long COVID in children: Acta Paediatr, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
9. Al-Aly Z, Xie Y, Bowe B: High-dimensional characterization of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19: Nature, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
10. Nalbandian A, Sehgal K, Gupta A: Post-acute COVID-19 syndrome: Nat Med, 2021; 27(4); 601-15
11. Nalbandian A, Sehgal K, Gupta A:: March 2021. Living with COVID-19: Second Review, 2021
12. Verguet S, Hailu A, Eregata GT: Toward universal health coverage in the post-COVID-19 era: Nat Med, 2021; 27(3); 380-87
13. Yong SJ: Long COVID or post-COVID-19 syndrome: Putative pathophysiology, risk factors, and treatments: Infect Dis (Lond), 2021; 22; 1-18
20 October 2021 : EditorialEditorial: The 2021 European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Guidelines on the Real-World Prevention of Atheros...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.935172
22 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Novel Method for the Production of an Autologous Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Catabolic Product (Cytorich) ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.934365
11 October 2021 : Clinical ResearchClinical Features and Temporal Lung Radiographic Changes in 25 Patients Recovering from COVID-19 Pneumonia:...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933381
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchUlnar Groove Plasty Guided by a 3D Printing Technique for Moderate to Severe Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Caused...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933775
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchTotal Fluoroscopy Time Reduction During Ultrasound- and Fluoroscopy-Guided Percutaneous Transhepatic Biliar...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933889
22 Oct 2021 : Clinical ResearchCorrelation Between Severity of Illness and Levels of Free Triiodothyronine, Interleukin-6, and Interleukin...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933230
Most Viewed Current Articles
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700