04 May 2021: EditorialDinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e932915
ABSTRACT: There have been rapid developments in safe and effective mRNA vaccines for zoonotic infections in the past year. Years of research have made these advances possible, leading to in vitro-transcribed (IVT) mRNA expressing therapeutic proteins. There are several advantages of mRNA vaccines that include their low-cost manufacturing process, large-scale and rapid production, and the ability to modify the vaccines in response to emerging infections and viral variants. The COVID-19 pandemic and successful vaccination programs for SARS-CoV-2 have highlighted the advantages of mRNA vaccines. Also, mRNA vaccines are in development for several other potential pandemic zoonotic infections, including Ebola virus, rabies virus, Zika virus, HIV-1, and influenza. There may also be hope for the control of pandemic avian influenza by the combination of improved and rapid viral genotyping and the rapid development and mass production of mRNA vaccines. This Editorial aims to present a brief overview of how mRNA vaccines may help control and future epidemic, pandemic, and endemic zoonotic virus infections.
Keywords: Vaccines, COVID-19 vaccine, Influenza, Human, Zoonoses, epidemics, Pandemics, Editorial
New outbreaks from zoonotic viral infections, including from coronaviruses and influenza viruses, require early detection and control to prevent the development of future pandemic and endemic disease. Influenza virus variants and SARS-CoV-2 viral infections are now endemic. The hope lies in rapid and effective vaccination programs that include mRNA vaccine technology.
1. Karikó K: In vitro-transcribed mRNA therapeutics: Out of the shadows and into the spotlight: Mol Ther, 2019; 27(4); 691-92
2. Weissman D, Karikó K: mRNA: Fulfilling the promise of gene therapy: Mol Ther, 2015; 23; 1416-17
3. Maruggi G, Zhang C, Li J: mRNA as a transformative technology for vaccine development to control infectious diseases: Mol Ther, 2019; 27; 757-72
4. Pardi N, Hogan MJ, Pelc RS: Zika virus protection by a single low-dose nucleoside-modified mRNA vaccination: Nature, 2017; 543(7644); 248-51
5. Dolgin E: How COVID unlocked the power of RNA vaccines: Nature, 2021; 589(7841); 189-91
6. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: Safety and efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(27); 2603-15
7. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N:: Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, 2020
8. Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B: Efficacy and safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine: N Engl J Med, 2021; 384(5); 403-16
9. Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B:: Emergency Use Authorization Factsheet. mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, 2020
10. Wang Y, Zhang Z, Luo J: mRNA vaccine: A potential therapeutic strategy: Mol Cancer, 2021; 20(1); 33
11. Molinari NA, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Messonnier ML: The annual impact of seasonal influenza in the US: Measuring disease burden and costs: Vaccine, 2007; 25(27); 5086-96
12. Molinari NA, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Messonnier ML:: Influenza (Seasonal)
13. Molinari NA, Ortega-Sanchez IR, Messonnier ML:: Influenza (Flu). Past pandemics
14. Lazarus R, Lim PL: Avian influenza: Recent epidemiology, travel-related risk, and management: Curr Infect Dis Rep, 2015; 17(1); 456
15. Feldman RA, Fuhr R, Smolenov I: mRNA vaccines against H10N8 and H7N9 influenza viruses of pandemic potential are immunogenic and well tolerated in healthy adults in phase 1 randomized clinical trials: Vaccine, 2019; 37(25); 3326-34
16. Bailey ES, Fieldhouse JK, Choi JY, Gray GC: A mini review of the zoonotic threat potential of influenza viruses, coronaviruses, adenoviruses, and enteroviruses: Front Public Health, 2018; 6; 104
17. Mascola JR, Fauci AS: Novel vaccine technologies for the 21 century: Nat Rev Immunol, 2020; 20(2); 87-88
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
16 July 2021 : Review articleSilent Hypoxemia in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia: A Review
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.930776
09 July 2021 : Database AnalysisA Simple Clinical Prediction Tool for COVID-19 in Primary Care with Epidemiology: Temperature-Leukocytes-CT...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.931467
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchComparison of the Use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Partial Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears Using Maxim...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932228
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchAutomated Boluses and Delayed-Start Timers Prolong Perineural Local Anesthetic Infusions and Analgesia Foll...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933190
16 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Retrospective Evaluation of Operative and Postoperative Outcomes in Patients with Spinal Metastases from ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932995
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700