26 April 2021: Editorial
Editorial: SARS-CoV-2 mRNA Vaccines and the Possible Mechanism of Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia (VITT)Dinah V. Parums *
Med Sci Monit 2021; 27:e932899
ABSTRACT: During 2020 and 2021, the global pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) due to severe acute respi- ratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has resulted in high death rates and acute and chronic morbidity in all countries. The rapid development of new mRNA vaccines to SARS-CoV-2 brings hope that the spread of this virus can be controlled. The ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine developed by a collaboration between the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca showed efficacy in clinical trials, with a good safety profile. However, there have been recent reports of the rare development of thrombotic events in young women following vaccination with ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, particularly of the rare condition of cavernous sinus thrombosis. Studies have begun to in- vestigate whether antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 spike cross-react with platelet factor 4 (PF4/CXLC4) and mim- ic autoimmune heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. This Medical Science Monitor Editorial aims to briefly update the current status of studies on a possible rare complication of using new mRNA vaccines to prevent COVID-19.
Keywords: Editorial, Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, acquired, Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting Systems, platelet factor 4, vaccin, COVID-19, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2
SARS-CoV-2 vaccines represent hope for reducing the prevalence and severity of acute COVID-19 and possibly ‘long COVID.’ Population epidemiological monitoring in countries that established early and full vaccination programs have shown reduced mortality rates from SARS-CoV-2. However rare, the mechanism for VITT requires urgent investigation to identify risk factors that may guide the use of alternative vaccines and reduce concerns that may deter compliance with global vaccination programs.
1. :: Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE)
2. Wang F, Kream RM, Stefano GB: An evidence based perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 vaccine development: Med Sci Monit, 2020; 26; e924700
3. Polack FP, Thomas SJ, Kitchin N: Safety and efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 vaccine: N Engl J Med, 2020; 383(27); 2603-15
4. Voysey M, Clemens SAC, Madhi SA: Oxford COVID Vaccine Trial Group: Safety and efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine (AZD1222) against SARS-CoV-2: An interim analysis of four randomised controlled trials in Brazil, South Africa, and the UK. Lancet, 2021; 397(10269); 99-111
5. Schultz NH, Sørvoll IH, Michelsen AE: Thrombosis and thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccination: N Engl J Med, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
6. Schultz NH, Sørvoll IH, Michelsen AE: Joint CDC and FDA Statement on Johnson & Johnson COVID-19: Vaccine, 2021
7. Chauhan N, Soni S, Gupta A, Aslam M, Jain U: Interpretative immune targets and contemporary position for vaccine development against SARS-CoV-2: A systematic review: J Med Virol, 2021; 93(4); 1967-82
8. Chauhan N, Soni S, Gupta A, Aslam M, Jain U:: MHRA issues new advice, concluding a possible link between COVID-19 vaccine AstraZeneca and extremely rare, unlikely to occur blood clots, 2021
9. Greinacher A, Thiele T, Warkentin TE: Thrombotic thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCov-19 vaccination: N Engl J Med, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
10. Oldenburg J, Klamroth R, Langer F: Diagnosis and management of vaccine-related thrombosis following AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccination: Guidance statement from the GTH: Hamostaseologie, 2021; [Online ahead of print]
08 September 2021 : Clinical ResearchAcceptance of COVID-19 Vaccination and Its Associated Factors Among Cancer Patients Attending the Oncology ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932788
16 July 2021 : Review articleSilent Hypoxemia in Patients with COVID-19 Pneumonia: A Review
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.930776
09 July 2021 : Database AnalysisA Simple Clinical Prediction Tool for COVID-19 in Primary Care with Epidemiology: Temperature-Leukocytes-CT...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.931467
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchComparison of the Use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Partial Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears Using Maxim...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932228
20 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchAutomated Boluses and Delayed-Start Timers Prolong Perineural Local Anesthetic Infusions and Analgesia Foll...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.933190
16 Sep 2021 : Clinical ResearchA Retrospective Evaluation of Operative and Postoperative Outcomes in Patients with Spinal Metastases from ...
Med Sci Monit In Press; DOI: 10.12659/MSM.932995
20 Mar 2020 : Clinical ResearchSocial Capital and Sleep Quality in Individuals Who Self-Isolated for 14 Days During the Coronavirus Diseas...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e923921
15 Apr 2020 : Clinical ResearchPsychological Impact and Coping Strategies of Frontline Medical Staff in Hunan Between January and March 20...
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924171
05 May 2020 : Review articleAn Evidence Based Perspective on mRNA-SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Development
Med Sci Monit 2020; 26:e924700